Sunday, March 31, 2013

Enjoy this Day...PS SPARKS Picture Perfect Challenge


Five – that’s the ‘official’ number of times we’ve been to Bend.   Our familiarity with the city makes returning almost like a ‘home-coming,’ – we know where to go, for what we need, and rarely need the guidance of a map to help us reach our destination.  Each time we visit (in July), however, in the midst of those places we consider special (and miss when we’re at home, like Trader Joe’s!!), the twists and turns of the roads inevitable lead us to something fresh and new.   Trip one, it was the beauty of the routes my husband raced in the Cascade Classic and the Old Mill Shopping District; trip two, took us to the gorgeous residential area of Broken Top,  with the adorable vacation rental home that I so wanted to take back with us (where are those house-movers when you need them? J).  Trip 3, was ‘wedding year’ for us, and in looking for a ring for my husband (cyclist – titanium.  Wouldn’t want something that ‘adds weight’ even if it’s a micro gram!!), we ventured into Silverado, with its unique jewelry selection; even though time frames prevented us from buying his ring there, a stop to gaze and admire is always on my ‘when in Bend, go here’ list (and I don’t even wear jewelry!).  Trip 4 – this past July -  took us to a part of the city we didn’t even know existed, and we discovered it only because I had ‘recently’ been afflicted with my card-making affliction.  I’d scoped out a most charming little shop (since closed…sadly), and off we went.  

Trip 5 is no exception, and even on this but our second full day here, we’ve seen a showcase of “firsts” on many levels: a first ‘spring’ visit; a ‘first’ to an Easter Celebration at St. Francis of Assisi church; a first to a Costco in the US (awesome prices!!); and my favourite so far:  a first (and as of about an hour ago – second) hike along the Deschutes River Trail.  Best part – it’s literally just outside the front door of where we’re staying!   Yes indeed, I do LOVE Bend!  Tomorrow, we’re shopping in the morning and come afternoon, well…I have a date with a certain delightful, invigorating nature trail!!

Anyway, after all that, time to get at ‘er with my post’s ‘real’ purpose:  submitting my entry to the Paper Smooches SPARKS Picture Perfect challenge. 
  

As I mentioned in a previous post, my new PS stamps arrived just prior to our trip, and with such excellent timing, I headed straight for the challenge.
   
My ‘re-vision’ of the picture included:  creating a ‘corkboard-ish’ frame adhered to a white cardstock background; the colours, circularity (that’s a word, right?), and layers of the buttons is reflected in my butterflies’ colours and the circles that they’re ‘lit upon.’  I added the sentiment because I could!!  New PS stamps = new opportunities, and I took ‘em! 


Yes, as usual, my contribution is a bit of a stretch (Bend on my mind..), but making a card to showcase my ‘new family members’ was a treat in and of itself. 
  
Thanks for dropping by, and if you leave a comment, know that it’s welcomed and appreciated, deeply!
Wishes to you to  discover the ‘new’ in the familiar; if we’re willing to see and explore, we never know what delights await! 
Happy Easter!!

I'm beyond honoured to be selected as a 'Featured Player' for this entry:  http://papersmoochessparks.blogspot.com/2013/03/april-1-7-trend-watch-challenge.html  So grateful!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i love the bright circles backing these gorgeous butterflies. the cork is a perfect background to the focal point. fabulous design!

Lyndal said...

FAB stitching and love your butterflies!
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog & saying Hi too - MUCH apprecaited :)

Marlena M. said...

Congratulations on your feature~this card is beautiful Carol!
You are a wonderful writer also~I feel as though I've been there! Sounds like a great place to visit.

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

What a fabulous card--LOVE all the butterflies and the kraft with white!! THANKS so much for joining in the fun and playing along with us over at the Paper Smooches SPARKS challenge!!

Shannon J said...

Another hugely deserved feature!! Delightful card, Carol!! Love how you mixed and matched the patterned paper on the butterflies and the punched circles and displayed them on the cork coloured background - lovely representation of the inspiration photo! Have I mentioned how much I love your cards ;) !!!