Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hello...CASE Study 4th Anniversary Week #1, Colour Throwdown #304, A Blog Named Hero #49: Die A Little

Happy Tuesday!

Our weekend of bike racing is now in the history books, and aside from a yucky crash at the crit on Saturday evening, everything else went well.  The road race, held out at the Bergen Hills, was a delight, especially as I followed the women's race - with all the gals riding as a cohesive, 'careful' group - and biding time with a most engaging driver. That's one of the perks of being an official: meeting interesting people who, over the course of 2 - 4 hours, depending on the race, I get to know in a bit more depth.  Most often our drivers are cyclists themselves, undertaking a 'volunteer' role to support their club hosting the race. It's nice to learn about the 'people' under the helmets and behind the numbers. They're all quite fascinating!

Aside from my husband being an official at the 'big' Tour of Alberta race beginning Sept. 2, we're done with the road season for the year.  Bittersweet.  The break isn't long, though, before cyclo-cross events begin - and those are FUN!  A different form of competitive atmosphere, 'smaller' racing venues that are far more spectator friendly than road races that unravel for miles upon miles, and definitely less injury-inducing.  Aside from the fact that temperatures will be much cooler (cyclo-cross spans from Sept 6 into mid November), it's a most entertaining sport.  My husband intends to race in several events this year, as he missed out last, what with his grad course and work taking excessive time, so I'm excited.  His new 'cross bike will be happy, too!

Today, I'm sharing a card in for Week 1 of CASE Study's 4th Anniversary month-long celebration.


This week, we were invited to visit the blogs of a number of incredibly talented designers to discover what they created in  response to 'something' that inspired them. After gazing and admiring in awe, and leaving comments (prizes galore to be won - thank you for the opportunity, Chupa!), we were to draw our inspiration from a designer and case-away.   

All the designers showcased such amazing talent in their "wow" cards, so narrowing down the "who" was challenge #;1, although at first glimpse of her card, my decision was pretty much made - and the reason why is pretty obvious, as you'll see.  My 'case' muse, with her gorgeous card, is the immensely talented, Keisha Campbell, who shared this delight with us:


Butterflies...on clothes pegs. Seriously, how cute is that!!  Love the stunning simplicity of this card so...I pretty much replicated it, using colours inspired by Color Throwdown #304 (missed a date with Mr. Linky).


Here's my take on Keisha's charming card:


Not sure why my sentiment circle appears askew in this photo, because it isn't in real life. Gahh....

Several dies used on this card, so I'm also joining in at A Blog Named Hero #49: Die A Little (or a Lot)


My butterflies are sponged with Real Red SU ink, along with blue/grey as close to the Throwdown colours as I could get. For some odd reason, little clothes pegs are in my stash, so perfect play opportunity.  Keisha grounded her sentiment with a row of dots; I went with my diagonal ef, as an adaptation.  Fun to make, quite cute and definitely not mail-able!  I'll personally deliver to a colleague, once school starts up (far, far too soon!!)

Thanks so much for dropping by; your visit and comments add sparkle to my day!





18 comments:

Marisa said...

Fabulous case! Love the EF on the bottom of the sentiment circle, and of course those butterflies with the cloths pins are so fun!! Glad the racing season was enjoyable, and I too would have loads of fun getting to know the people behind the helmets :)

Brenda said...

Glad that you and hubby are getting a little break between the difference types of bike races Carol! This next one coming up sounds a little less dangerous. lol I do hope no one was injured on the bike crash from this last race you speak of. Your CASE card is just as adorable as the original!!! I love those little clothes pegs on the butterflies, too cute! I also love the partially embossed circle with that amazing embossing folder. Yep, this is one amazing CASED card my friend. Hugs, Brenda

Joni Andaya said...

Super Sweet carol....oh so love the butterflies :)

Geri said...

Fabulous cards & tag (I've resorted to a multi-post comment format until the reno house is done!). The circle looks fine to me and I'm 100% positive that it WOULD NOT be one bit askew in real life....it's just the angle of the photo :)

Anita in France said...

You chose the most perfect card to CASE, Carol ... and added that certain je ne sais quoi to make it your own! Gorgeous embossed focal circle with the woodgrain (I think) die cut hello ... and the wonderful textured background! Take it easy during your short bike-event break ... recharge those batteries for the fun cyclo cross! Hugs, Anita :)

Deepti said...

Beautiful casing on Keisha's card, love the colors and the texturing done with the embossing !

Carole said...

So brilliant! There is so much texture her I want to reach out and touch...I know fingers off....love the butterflies on pegs...super card.

Michelle said...

Great CASE! I love the textures on your card. Thanks for joining us at CASE Study!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! I love how you incorporated the other color combo! Thanks for joining us this week at CASE Study!

~amy~ said...

LOVE how you were inspired!

Nonni said...

So cute, what a fun layout... And the white on white sentiment is super stylish!

Susanne Vargas said...

Oh, those butterflies are adorable with the pegs! Also love the striped embossing in the circle and that perfectly fitting "hello"!

Greta said...

Oh wow--this is beautiful, Carol!

Dana said...

I'm sure the fact that butterflies were on the card had nothing to do with why you picked the fab card!! hehehe!!! I have to say your take on it is fab too!!! The butterflies are so cute with the cloths pins!!!

Taunya Butler said...

I am so impressed with the way you used that embossing folder to emboss the bottom half of that circle - what a stunning way to underline and showcase your Hello! I am impressed with the sponging on the butterflies - at first glance I thought they had been punched out of that color of paper. Yes, they look that vibrant and vivid!! Way to go - you did such a gorgeous job on this card and it truly made me smile!! Butterflies make me feel hopeful!!

Kylie said...

More of those magical butterflies to send inspiration flying my way - thank you! Love the texture of the background, and the embossing in the circle too. I never think about using my embossing folders these days but you've inspired me to think about dragging them out again. :)

Tracey McNeely said...

You have been on a roll my friend, two fantastic cards! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that embossing folder!

Shannon J said...

I'm in love. Seriously! The woodgrain base, the circle die that is half embossed, and YES, the butterflies attached to those sweet little clothes pins...a-dor-a-ble!! Awesome CASE, Carol!!!